Of late, talcum powders are faced with negative criticism, with a few studies proclaiming that talc leads to ovarian cancer in females.
Thousands of talcum powder lawsuits are proof that not every product deemed safe is harm-free for your babies. In the USA, many women have sued Johnson & Johnson after reports alleged a connection between talcum powder and ovarian cancer.
For an effective talc-free powder, a lot of people switched to cornstarch baby powder. However, these two variants are distinct from each other in many aspects.
What is Talcum?
Talcum is made from a mineral – talc. It is widely used in a myriad of cosmetic products such as makeup and highly been recommended for those with sensitive skin. However, a small proportion of talcum is also found in baby powder.
Many talc products are naturally contaminated with asbestos fibers which put a lot of consumers at the risk of cancer.
What is Talcum?
Cornstarch particles are derived from corn. It is a highly used ingredient for preparing healthy, delicious delicacies and commonly used in pancakes, soups, sauces, and gravies.
However, like talc, it can also be used as a cosmetic ingredient to keep the skin dry and soft and often been used to prevent diaper rashes.
What’s The Difference?
- Cornstarch is made from a food ingredient, whereas; talcum powder is made from a mineral.
- As cornstarch contains bigger particles, it is a safe baby powder as compared to fine talcum powder.
- Recent studies recommend that when talcum powder is used in the perineal part, it is highly likely to pass through the womb, and end up in ovaries. Because the body cannot break talc into particles, it instigates cancerous cells to grow. Cornstarch, on the other hand, poses no such risk and fully safe to use.
- Most talcum powders come in various fragrances; their texture is usually the same no matter what brand it is. The fragrance of talc helps to fight the odor. The floral and fruity fragrance is to impress women, those that are targeted for men have a stronger aroma. On the other hand, cornstarch powder contains mild fragrance as it is specially made for kids.
- Talcum powder increases the risk of ovarian cancer among women, whereas cornstarch is considered to be a safer alternative.
- Athletes use talcum powder all over their bodies before the game begins. This restrains irritation and sweating caused by skin-tight clothes. Women apply powder in their inner thighs to keep chafing at bay while they dress up in skirts. Whereas, cornstarch powder is used to prevent skin eruptions, caused by excessive sweating and frequent urination.
- Cornstarch powder has a therapeutic quality, especially when it comes to calm the frightened person. It is more effective and does wonder as compared to other medicines. Talcum powder, though, is made up of tiny particles, when inhaled cause coughing and lung irritation.
If you are not sure of what to gift a mother-to-be, the cornstarch powder never disappoints the recipients. The newborn babies are in constant need of such daily care supplies.
Latest Findings In Talcum Powder Lawsuits
Many women who have been affected by this health-damaging talcum powder have won huge compensation for the injuries and health loss in the US.
To date, the healthcare company faces more than 100,000 lawsuits over its product safety and marketing strategies.
In A Nutshell,
A lot of studies reveal that talcum powder causes cancer. And lawsuits against Johnson and Johnson may expose to new research and findings in the coming times.
The U.S. authorities did not give a clear picture of the use of talcum; many countries in Europe have already banned its use in cosmetic products. To combat the potential health risks of talcum powder, people use alternatives like cornstarch powder.
If you or your loved one have developed cancer as a consequence of using Johnson and Johnson’s talc, schedule a free consultation with experienced attorneys for the best legal advice.